It’s here! #LABW7 has made the move from September to June, and there’s nine days FULL of beer dinners, tap-takeovers and some other wild events! Here are a few of the highlights that we’ll be attending.
The Official Kickoff event moves to Exposition Park this year, and the fun starts at 1pm on Saturday. I’ll be hosting a panel beginning at 2:45 discussion pro-tips for tasting and evaluating beer; I’ll be joined by homebrewer and beer writer Sean Smith, Mohawk Bend’s beer program manager Lauren O’Neil, and Smog City Brewery’s resident biochemist Chris Walowski! It should be fun and educational. I hope to see you there!
On Sunday, the Eagle Rock Public House is hosting CLASH OF THE BURGER TITANS that pits the chef behind The Oinkster and the madmen behind Grill ‘Em All in a head-to-head burger battle. I’ll be a guest judge at the throw-down along with some notable members of LA’s food press. The gluttony starts at 11, and the judging begins at 2pm. Sunday is of course also Father’s Day, and you can check out this piece on The Daily Dish for a bunch of other great events that celebrate both LABW and Father’s Day!
Here are some other highlights for LABW7:
- Monday, June 22nd
- The Pink Boots Society takes over Three Weavers Brewery for a fundraising event featuring a great taplist that’s full of the young brewery’s recent collaboration brews (including a watermelon saison made with 21st Amendment and a rye IPA made with the soon-to-open Arts District Brewery)! Grab your tickets here.
- MacLeod’s and Craftsmen Brewery join forces to take over the taps at the wonderful Lost Knight Pub in Echo Park.
- The Culver City edition of the always popular Kick the Keg event at City Tavern
- Tuesday, June 23rd
- BATTLE OF THE BANDS! A Beer of Tomorrow pick, this was one of the best events of last year’s Beer Week, and the new venue should make things even better this year! Don’t ask questions, just get your tickets and get ready to rock the funk out.
- San Francisco’s Cellarmaker is one of the most exciting breweries in the Bay Area, and they’ve invading Los Angeles during Beer Week, and on Tuesday they’ll be at one of LA’s most exciting breweries: Highland Park Brewery. An amazing taplist of brews you never see in LA + the new collaboration brew (a brett IPA, natch) between the two creative forces mean this is going to be the second hottest ticket in town.
- Live on the Westside and don’t feel like trekking to either of the above events? Check out the beer dinner at Pono Burger featuring Strand Brewing.
- Wednesday, June 24th
- Meeting of the Guilds: Taking over Naja’s Place in Redondo Beach this year, the Brewers Guilds from LA, San Francisco, and San Diego come together for a crazy party with some of the best beers in the state. If you like to hang with brewers, this is where you’ll want to be!
- The Bruery Terreux Launch Party at Little Bear. The new brand of sour and wild brews from OC’s The Bruery officially launches at LA’s lauded Belgian beer cafe.
- Like taking pictures of beer? Get some pro-tips and don’t worry about driving around the South Bay with the California Brewmasters and LA Beer Hop Photo Safari! What a great idea for an event.
- So, You Think You Want to Open a Brewery IV: the return of beer writer Tomm Carroll’s informational panel / seminar on what it takes to open a craft brewery in LA will be hosted at Golden Road. This is a must-attend for hopeful brewery owners.
- Thursday, June 25th
- Love Smog City’s beers? Hit up Library Alehouse In Santa Monica for their Play Favorites event. This total tap takeover of SCB’s brews includes their new peach sour Cuddlebug, Bourbon O.E., Infinite Wishes, and all their regular production brews.
- Beer cocktails haven’t yet caught on in Los Angeles they way you might expect them to, but this event at Ladyface Ale Companie featuring the (delicious) spirits from Ballast Point mixed with the complex brews from Ladyface is trying to change that. Six mini cocktails + snacks from Chef Adrian for just $25. Check out the link for details on the cocktails and to buy tickets.
- Beer Week is a great time to learn about beer, and one of the best opportunities to grow your beer-brain this year is this event at Barbara’s at the Brewery. Mark Jilg of Craftsman Brewing will be joined by Bob Kunz of Highland Park Brewery and Henry Nguyen of Monkish Brewery for a discussion on mixed fermentation beers (beer that use multiple yeast and bacteria strains during fermentation). For my money, this is the hottest ticket in town during #LABW7!
- Friday, June 26th
- It’s an LA Beer Week tradition! Walker’s WIld Ride returns and will see The Lion himself piloting Olivia (his vintage Land Rover) delivering special Barrelworks kegs to three LA bars. This year’s stops are Beer Belly (at 6pm to coincide with their Meet the Founder event), City Tavern DTLA (at 7:30pm), and ending up at Blue Palms in Hollywood (at 9PM).
- Get some cask ales from El Segundo Brewing Co. and Kinetic Brewing at Little Tokyo’s Far Bar. Four specialty “tropical” casks will get tapped, and aloha wear is recommended. (The taplist should also be great in addition to the casks.)
- Saturday, June 27th — Big, big events in store for Saturday! Pick your poison:
- Rarest of the Rare at Smog City Brewery — crazy-sauce taplist
- Ballast Point at Blue Palms — all 24 taps pouring Ballast Point, including 4 different Victory at Sea variations and SEVEN different Sculpins.
- Ladies of LA Craft Beer @ Mohawk Bend — local blog Girls Who Like Beer has organized a panel of LA’s female beer experts including Alex Nowell (Three Weavers), Devon Randall (Arts District Brewing, formally Pizza Port), and journalist Sarah Bennett. Special brews and food specials. Another great chance to learn some stuff while drinking brews.
- 38 Degrees 6th Anniversary — Crazy taplist and a big crowd of beer lovers.
- El Segundo Brewing Co. + Cascade collab release — Perfect Strangers is a blend of Hammerland and Cascade’s Shrieking Violet, and it was one of the highlights of the opening festival. Go get some.
- Sunday, June 28th — Are we done yet?
- We typically round out Beer Week at the Eagle Rock Brewery Brewer’s Brunch. A low key way to wind down and commisurate with the exhausted brewers and beer pros who’ve just weathered 10 days of crazies.
- The Glendale tap is tapping 5 Monkish beers and 5 Beachwood beers to close things out. Should be another chill evening to wind-down.
- Want to go out with a bang (and full belly)? $80 gets you a seat at the Brewmasters Dinner at ERB Public House. Chef Jerry Su will undoutably bust out somethign insane to pair with brews from ERB, Ladyface, Three Weavers, Craftsman, and Smog City.
Don’t forget to snag a bottle of UNITY the official beer of LA Beer Week.
What are you most excited about attending?