Tapped Out is a weekly round-up of the stories and posts that didn’t get covered on Beer of Tomorrow but that are still interesting and worth a read. So grab your favorite weekend beer and take a look!
Okay, that was a really long week! But it is finally friday and it’s time to break out the stouts, imperial porters, and spiced brews before the LA weather heats back up again!
Things are finally settling down for us a bit after LA Beer Week’s madness and our road trip (more on our visit to Firestone Walker next week). But the craft beer scene as a whole is still jumping with the Great American Beer Fest happening right now in Denver!
We’ve got quite a collection of links and stories that should help pass the afternoon if you’re stuck in the office.
A Couple of Events
- City Tavern is hosting Bay Area brewery Drake’s for a Pint Night on Thursday the 18th. We still haven’t made it down to City Tavern, but some of the hoppy brews from Drake’s might be enough to finally get us there!
- Smog City turns one and celebrates with a One Night Stand at Beer Belly. Our favorite K-Town craft beer spot was just named one of the 12 Best Bars for Beer Lovers by GQ Magazine and got a mention on the LA Weekly Best Beer List, and owners Jimmy and Yumi will host the OC ex-pat brewery Smog City. Smog City is hard at work on getting their new Torrance brewery permitted and built-out, but in the mean-time they just keep turning out excellent brews! Don’t miss the Groundwork Coffee Porter!
New Brews & News
- We mentioned the new beers from Stone, Hangar 24, and Golden Road earlier this week, and the question of when GRB’s Burning Bush cans would be released was answered: today! Head out to the pub to grab a 4-pack while they last. In addition Stone has announced the details of the final entry into their Vertical Epic series. VE 12-12-12 is a “a dark Belgian abbey-ish ale brewed with cinnamon, ginger, allspice, sweet orange peel, clove (only a little!), and rosehips.” We’ve been holding on to bottles since the 6-6-06 release and can’t wait to do a vertical tasting of the 7 years that we have!
- Not new beer, but more beer from one of the biggest cult-favorite breweries in SoCal! Alpine Brewing has just announced that they will be nearly quadrupling production and even moving towards canning some of their traditionally hard to find product! More as it develops.
- Not a new beer, but a new place to drink beer: the “beer garden” area (AKA “the lawn”) at the Pub at Golden Road is now open! Grab a beer and a pretzel and enjoy fall in LA on the cushy Astroturf!
- A few Mug Club spots have opened up at Sunset Beer Co. If you missed the deal the first time around then don’t sleep on this second chance to buy-in to the $70 Mug Club which gets you a bunch of cool-kid benefits at the Echo Park hotspot!
- Craft beer is good for the economy. Obviously. But just how good? A new study puts the number at 3 billion dollars to California’s Economy. Brewbound has the story, and it’s a good one!
- Speaking of good stories, the “always lovely” Randy Clemens has a piece on the Denver Post about the West Coast breweries that GABF attendee’s shouldn’t miss. Check it out and support LA and the best-coast’s beer!
- We may cover this in more detail in the coming weeks, but here is a good piece from Beerpulse that provides more details and insight into the new Henry Wienhard’s rebranding that we told you about last month. The beer wars are heating up!