Tapped Out is a weekly round-up of the stories and posts that didn’t get covered on Beer of Tomorrow but that are still interesting and worth a read. So grab your favorite weekend beer and take a look!
There’s only one more week of August left, and soon Summer too will be drawing to a close. Want to enjoy every last fleeting minute that remains? Here are some events to keep you beer’d up and some stories to keep you entertained until it’s time to crack the first of the weekend!
- Taste of Brews Comes to Long Beach on Saturday: This weekend’s local festival is just off the water in Long Beach at Lighthouse Park; a local-heavy line-up of over forty breweries will be pouring starting at 1pm (noon if you buy early admission tickets). (Taste of Brews)
- This Year’s Final Chinatown Summer Nights Festival Is on Saturday Night: Join Angel City Brewing, Eagle Rock Brewing, Cismontane, and Monkish Brewing in the Downtown beer garden! (Chinatown Summer Nights)
- Angel City and Spring Street Smoke House Throw a Beer Dinner: While we’ve never attended one of Spring Street Smoke House’s infamous beer dinners we hear that’s where the cool-kids go to get their craft beer and BBQ. Tuesday is the next edition of the dinners, and Angel City is the featured brewery! (Facebook)
- Speakeasy Brewery Turns 15; Celebrate at Tony’s Darts Away: The San Francisco ale smiths hit the big one-five, and on Tuesday Burbank institution Tony’s will have ten of their beers on-tap and some folks from the brewery on-hand to chat. (Facebook)
- Don’t Forget to Get Tickets for LA Beer Week: We’ve said it before, but why stress about them selling out? Buy your tickets soon for the biggest Los Angeles beer event of the year!
Beer Beer Everywhere
- We told you about Smog City’s design contest a couple of weeks back, and now the brewery has announced the winning design fittingly by art-collective Smog City!
- The Bruery Stirs up some controversy with their new ultra-exclusive club. Known in beer-geek circles for their “Reserve Society,” which lets members get access to special brews and deals, the Bruery has announced the “Hoarders Society:” an even more high-tier club for their biggest fans. Reactions across the beerosphere were mixed, but we think it is an intriguing idea.
- The LA Weekly ranks the Five most desirable end-of-summer limited release beers. Stone’s Enjoy By IPA makes the #1 spot, but good luck finding any!
- Brooklyn Brewery’s brewmaster and respected beer-guru Garrett Oliver vents about his five biggest annoyance with craft beer in America (we take #5 close to heart), and The Washington Times runs with the story and elaborates on Mr. Oliver’s five pet peeves.
- LA beer blog Bierkast takes a look at the stigma and recent controversy that surrounds Gypsy/contract brewers, and the author’s experience as a founder of Los Angeles Ale Works provides a unique perspective.
- Check out these great photos of the 2012 Unity (the annual LA Beer Week beer) brew-day at Eagle Rock Brewing with a whole bunch of LA craft beer brewers, bloggers, and movers-and-shakers! (Facebook)
That wraps up this week at Beer of Tomorrow! Have a great weekend, stay safe, and drink great beer!