Tapped Out is a weekly round-up of the stories and posts that didn’t get covered on Beer of Tomorrow but that are still interesting and worth a read. So grab your favorite weekend beer and take a look!
In this special edition of Tapped Out we are going to be looking at some of the best beers to drink over the holiday weekend, at your Memorial Day BBQs, and for the rest of summer as collected from around the web!
It’s that time of year, and it seems like every site out there has a list of the best summer beers. We’ll have our own recommendations up in a couple of weeks, but until then here’s a round-up of some of the better lists:
- Food Republic has a country-spanning list of 30 Beers to Drink Over Memorial Day Weekend, and the list covers all the bases from big IPAs, to milk Stouts, to the typical summer-y session brews. The Widmer Bros. Brewing Co Citra Blonde sounds intriguing; it is a wheat beer with a healthy dose of citra hops for a blast of tropical-fruit notes.
- Food Republic also takes a look at the refreshing German Helles Lagers, and they recommend one of our favorite craft examples of the style: Maui Brewing Co’s Bikini Blonde Lager.
- This Memorial Day Beer Roundup by Drink Craft Beer is mostly focused on mid-west and east-coast breweries, most of which are tough to come-by out in Cali, but the Full Sail Session Lager should be available. Two beers from Sixpoint Brewing in Brooklyn make their list, and we are itching to try some of their beers.
- Another Sixpoint beer, the summer seasonal wheat beer Apollo, was named the Official Beer of Summer by The Empty Growler.
- Yet another Sixpoint beer, The Crisp, is on this list from Cool Material, as is 21st Amendment’s Hell or High Watermelon which we recommend using for a refreshing shandy. Somewhat oddly, the amazingly tart and delicious Russian River Supplication is also on the list; not sure how much of a Summer beer is it, but we do love it!
- American Craft Beer looks at some craft beer that are not dedicated summer beers, but that go with sunshine and the beach as good as any, and their top recommendation of Victory Prima Pils is spot on. The lager for hop-heads could be our favorite sittin’ on the porch in the afternoon beer. The Flying Dog UnderDog Atlantic Lager sounds like a great light session beer, and it comes in cans! We’ll be hunting some of this down.
- The Beer Guerrilla goes beyond just recommending beer for Summer and suggests some great grilled food and craft beer pairings for your Memorial Day BBQs! He covers everything from burgers to corn to grilled chicken.
- Belgian Saisons and farmhouse ales have gotten huge in recent years, and they make fantastic beers for your memorial day BBQ. Bon Appetit calles them “The Gatorade of Beers,” and while we wouldn’t go that far their three suggestions are right on the money.
- Happy Hour Magazine looks at their 10 Best Saisons, and they hit on some of our favorites like Pretty Thing’s Jack D’or and North Coast’s Le Merle. We would also recommend the Green Flash Saison Diego or the Great Divide Colette; both are dry and refreshing with a vinous quality that makes then great cross-over beers for the white wine drinkers.
- Billy Broas suggests looking beyond the more well-known saisons and trying another farmhouse style: the Biere de Garde.
- The Street’s list of 10 Summer Beers That Won’t Break Your Budget has some faux-craft macrobrewed beer on it (Blue Moon, Leinenkugels) but they also have a couple of on-point recommendations like the Samuel Adams Summer Ale and the previously mentioned Citra Blonde.
- Sean Inman, writing at Food GPS, discusses your strategies for what to drink when you have no control over what’s in the cooler.
- If you get stuck drinking American Light Lager, at least you can be doing it in an American flag-styled can.
- And according to a poll at Drink Craft Beer it looks like people are going to be buying canned beer in droves for their Memorial Day celebrations!
- Remixed Image via Julie Verive