Tapped Out is a weekly round-up of the stories and posts that didn’t get covered on Beer of Tomorrow but that are still interesting and worth a read. So grab your favorite weekend beer and take a look!
Another week in the books, and another week closer to LA Beer Week! We are changing the format for Tapped Out a little this week, so take a look at let us know what you think.
Our first change is in the coverage of the weekend’s and next week’s events. We can’t match the great work that Jeff from Beer Guy LA is doing with his awesome monthly events posts; instead we are going to just list a few choice picks of the next week here. We encourage you to check out the Beer Guy LA September Events Page for a comprehensive look at what’s going down this month (especially since there is a ton of great stuff happening for LA Beer Week.)
Beer of Tomorrow’s Picks:
- Sourfest 2012 Wraps Up at Library Alehouse: The week-long celebration of sour beers comes to an end on Sunday, so hit up Library Alehouse before then to try some of the amazing sours that they’ve been collection all year for this event!
- Shmaltz Brewing Takes Over the Taps at Buzz Wine Beer: Head downtown tonight for a six-beer line-up of the SF/NY Breweries best. Don’t miss their Bittersweet Lenny: a fantastic double IPA made with tons of rye. Delicious!
- Get A Chance to Sample the New Double IPA from Eagle Rock Brewing: Stop by the taproom before Sunday to buy a $2 ticket that gets you entered into a raffle to win a trip to the GABF and gets you access to the preview of two new beers that Eagle Rock will be pouring on Sunday!
- Haven Gastropub’s First “Dinner with Dave” Beer Dinner Is on Sunday: There are only a few spots left to enjoy some great food plus drink and talk about great craft beer. Tickets are $25 and the dinner is in Pasadena at 7pm.
- Next Weekend Is the Second LA Beer Bloggers Summit: If you or someone you know is a beer blogger, has a site devoted to beer, or writes about beer in LA and you would like to be a part of the summit email INFO@bierkast.com to get on the list!
Beer Beer Everywhere
This section of assorted fun and interesting beer stories and posts is going to be expanded a little. We want to showcase some of the good content out there that didn’t quite warrant its own post on Beer of Tomorrow, and these links should help keep you entertained for the rest of the slow-moving Friday afternoon. Our only issue is we just don’t know what to call this section! We’d love to hear your suggestions in the comments!
- LA Beer Super-Star Paige Reilly Profiles in the LA Weekly: Paige is responsible for all the purchasing and tap curating for Mohawk Bend, Tony’s Darts Away, and the Pub at Golden Road (that is A LOT of taps) and she is interviewed about how she got started in craft beer and what her philosophy on beer-education is. It is a great quick read about one of the heroines of the LA craft beer scene. Her philosophy on beer and the LA scene meshes closely with our own; here’s our favorite pullquote from the piece:
When Tony [Yanow founder of Tony’s Darts Away, Mohawk Bend, and Golden Road] and I first met, he asked me what was my goal in life. And I said I wanted to make craft beer a totally normal thing. I want to walk into any restaurant and store in the universe and not even think about the fact that you’re about to buy a Stone IPA or whatever it may be. I do not care about being special; I don’t care about hierarchy. I just want it to be super normal — same thing as buying a bag of carrots. And I think that’s what we’re doing — making [craft beer] normal.
- Our Love for Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project is no secret, and this is a fantastic piece written by Brewmaster Dan about hops and how Pretty Things thinks about and uses everyone’s favorite strobiles!
- Stone Brewmaster Mitch Steele literally wrote the book on IPAs. His new book, IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes, and the Evolution of the India Pale Ale will be released on October 14th, and there is a lot of buzz about it.
- How Many Beers Should a Craft Brewery Produce? The question is asked over on the Denver-based craft beer site BillyBrew, and there is a good discussion about how much is too much when talking about a breweries packaged offerings.
- From the “you needed scientists to tell you that” files comes a study that shows that people drink beer quicker out of a flared pint glass than they do out of a glass with straight sides.
- Football is back, and CraftBeer.Com has an article that pairs your favorite NFL teams with craft beers.
- This video has been making the rounds, but if you haven’t seen the ad for Australia’s Carlton Draught it is a hilarious send-up of Hollywood car-chase tropes, and it was shot in Downtown LA!
That it for this week at Beer of Tomorrow! Have a wonderful weekend. Relax and be safe!