Fox News, of all places, has a list of their picks for the Top 10 Spring Beers, and the list hews pretty closely to the selections in Michael Jackson’s excellent Ultimate Beer: heavy on the traditional German spring styles. These beers don’t mesh all that well with the cool-then-warm, and oh-so-brief, Los Angeles “spring”. The full list, as well as a few of our own recommendations, after the jump.
Click through to read the descriptions of each of their selections:
- Abita Bock – Abita Brewing Co
- Celebrator Ayinger Doppelbock – Braueri Aying
- Alaskan Birch Bock – Alaskan Brewing Company
- Gordon Biersch Maibock – Gordon Biersch Brewing
- Hofbräu Maibock – Staatliches Hofbräuhaus
- Dead Guy Ale – Rogue Ales
- Southern Hemisphere Harvest – Sierra Nevada Brewing
- Stoudt’s Karnival Kölsch-Style Beer – Stoudt’s Brewing Co
- Summit Maibock – Summit Brewing Co
- Weihenstephaner Vitus – Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Lots of German styles and German breweries on that list; spring beers can be more than just a strong and dark lager though. Especially in LA where spring is less about thawing out from the winter and more about hitting the streets or the trails to enjoy the city before our schedules fill up with summer BBQs and beach-dates.
Here are our picks for some more great spring beers:
- Golden Road Brewing’s cans of hefe and IPA are packable, refreshing, and they make a great beer for Coachella, the Santa Monica Mountains, or even just washing the car.
- Hangar 24 has a few beers that fit well for spring. Their traditional Dusseldorf-style Alt Bier is a little darker and heavier, and it is a little closer to Fox News’ recommendations. They also produce a California Spring seasonal beer that is a blend of two batches of wheat beer, one fermented with a crisp and clean American yeast, and the other fermented with a more fruity Belgian yeast. The beer is then finished with some fruit-forward American hops and it is refreshing, complex, and worth trying!
- Who said hop-heads can’t enjoy a bitter-brew for spring? Sierra Nevada is now canning two beers that are perfect for spring: the evergreen classic Pale Ale and their Torpedo “Extra IPA” (in tall-boys no less!)
- If the morning gloom decides to stick around until beer-o’clock and you want something a little richer, there is always Stone’s Imperial Russian Stout! It will warm you up on those cool spring evenings.
- And on those LA spring days that really do feel more like a dog-day of summer, the Bruery’s spring-seasonal Saison De Lente is refreshing and complex.
- And if it is really hot, you can always throw together a refreshing shandy!
- Source: Fox news Top 10 Spring Beers